[syslinux] libcom32 license and linking

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Dec 3 14:56:00 PST 2004

Jeff Kalikstein wrote:
> Peter-
>
> Can you please clarify the license of libcom32, from
> the samples directory in syslinux?  I am attempting to
> create .c32 files that are not encumbered by the GPL,
> but the conio.c file states that is is covered by the
> GPL.  So far, I have resisted linking with libcom32.a,
> but is it really your intent to license the library
> code under GPL, and not something more like the LGPL?

Actually, the intent was for libcom32 to be under the MIT license (used
for the original version of X11; similar to the new BSD license.)

There is a library built in the samples directory; that is not the
"real" version of libcom32 (which is in the com32 directory in
syslinux-2.12-pre1 and later.)  Use the new one, that's the one that is
supported going forward.

> Additionally, the Makefile in the samples directory
> also has a GPL header, suggesting that any derivative
> code of any of your samples is encumbered by the GPL-
> is that correct?

That is true, although if presented with a reasonable request I may
choose to waive the GPL, move it into the library (under the MIT
license), or do something else.