[syslinux] libcom32 license and linking

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Dec 3 15:03:02 PST 2004

Jeff Kalikstein wrote:
> Peter-
>
> Can you please clarify the license of libcom32, from
> the samples directory in syslinux?  I am attempting to
> create .c32 files that are not encumbered by the GPL,
> but the conio.c file states that is is covered by the
> GPL.  So far, I have resisted linking with libcom32.a,
> but is it really your intent to license the library
> code under GPL, and not something more like the LGPL?
>

> Additionally, the Makefile in the samples directory
> also has a GPL header, suggesting that any derivative
> code of any of your samples is encumbered by the GPL-
> is that correct?

I should also add that I don't subscribe to the idiotic legal theory
that "anything remotely looks like X is clearly a derivative work of X";
sample code is just that -- sample code intended for demonstation
purposes.  Now, there is some code in there (like chain.c) which really
is more than sample code; I indend to move that into com32/modules soonish.