[syslinux] isolinux needing mkisofs

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Dec 7 20:56:01 PST 2004

David Bond wrote:
> Due to limitations of equipment, I have need of using the isolinux boot
> loader with .iso files generated by roxio.
>
> After trying (and of course failing) with an off the shelf version of
> isolinux, I grabbed the source for isolinux (syslinux 2.11 package) and
> started looking.
>
> It took a few hours to orient myself, but I ended up doing the
> modification below to isolinux.asm.  I then had to write a small C
> program to take the .bin file and patch offset 0x14 with the proper
> checksum info.  With that I now have a isolinux.bin file suitable for
> roxio - and probably other software.
>
> Is there any interest in this, or is the dependency on mkisofs there for
> another reason?

Could you please send that as a unified diff?

The dependency on mkisofs is because the assumption that the BRV is at
sector 17 isn't inherently valid.  The spec is that it's at sector 17 OF
THE LAST SESSION WRITTEN, which isn't the same thing.  This is basically
a screwup in the El Torito specification, which is why the boot info
block option to mkisofs exists to make up for it.

I don't know what you mean with "limitations of equipment"; mkisofs
should be able to run on pretty much anything, especially these days
with MacOS being Unix and there being Cygwin for 'doze.

Or you can lobby the Roxio people for adding this extension, it's fully
documented.

That being said, it wouldn't be a bad idea at all to add something like
this as a fallback option; it's certainly easy to find if the info block
hasn't already been patched, and it's better than failing completely.
After all, it should work as long as it's not a multisession disk.
Hence the request for a unified diff.