EDD error RE: [syslinux] Re: SYSLINUX 2.12-pre7 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Dec 8 17:25:31 PST 2004

Blaauw,Bernd B. wrote:

> Doesn't Isolinux clear everything before a localboot 0x00 ?

No, it doesn't; although I think there is an El Torito command to
disable the boot device, I don't see any use in calling it, since it's
running in no-emulation mode and therefore doesn't hide any drives.  As
you point out, it has the nice effect that you can load the El Torito
CD-ROM driver.

 > also a syslinux bootdisk with 'bootsect.bin' seems to work perfectly,
 > I always thought BSS was required (my mistake?).

It works as long as you're on the same filesystem as you copied the
sector from.  You will wreck major havoc if you try to use that
bootsector on another filesystem, however.

 > Also 2.12pre9 is missing SYSLINUX.EXE, but the .COM seems to work
 > SYSLINUX A: (I do get a direct hardware access message though on
 > Win2000)

Fixed in pre10.