EDD error RE: [syslinux] Re: SYSLINUX 2.12-pre7 released

Blaauw,Bernd B. B.Blaauw at student.fontys.nl
Wed Dec 8 17:50:31 PST 2004

(Sorry, Outlook webmail prohibits me from proper replying/quoting)

>it has the nice effect that you can load the El Torito
>CD-ROM driver.

Which seems logical if you boot a kernel (like Linux, or Memdisk with an imagefile), but not when doing a local boot (diskette/harddisk)
In other words: boot from cdrom, and if you then load a disk-image, eltorito.sys should load. If not loading a kernel or disk-image (but booting C: for example, or A:), then, IMHO, eltorito.sys should not be able to load (as the user opted to chainload instead of continuing to boot from cdrom).

I wish I could provide an ISO or diskimage, but the 'bios EDD error' only occurs on MSDOS (IO.SYS) kernel, so I can't spread/provide that disk image.

I'll manage, though. It's just making my testing a tiny bit more difficult (hit ESC each time the machine boots, then select floppy, instead of let isolinux boot and then select 'A' for localboot 0x80 as defined in my isolinux.cfg file)

UDMA2 author mailed this:
and avoids addressing over 20 bits.   Re: the "Int 13h" function codes used
by UDMA2, they are (A) 41h to see if an EDD BIOS is present, 48h to request
EDD parameters for every disk and 08h to request CHS values for every disk.
All are "basic" functions that any (good) EDD BIOS should support.   If, in

Bernd

Op deze e-mail zijn de volgende voorwaarden van toepassing:

http://www.fontys.nl/disclaimer

The above disclaimer applies to this e-mail message.