[syslinux] Chainloading from pxelinux

Keith.Young at barclayscapital.com Keith.Young at barclayscapital.com
Thu Dec 9 01:56:18 PST 2004

Can pxelinux be used to chain other *network* bootloaders directly?
I.e., keep the pxe stack but replace itself with an alternate network
boot loader (eg, the intel nbp, or, more specificly, an arbitrary
bootloader for another OS)?

I'm sure this is an obvious FAQ but I can't find reference to it
(sorry).

Obviously memdisk could be used to load other OSes, but I have been
given a strict specification that the (3Com) network boot loader
currently in use for windows installs be chain loadable, and pxelinux
doesn't seem happy about doing that.

"Real" pxe would seem the obvious solution (allow the operator to select
pxelinux or other network boot loaders), but for various reasons this
may be difficult (from an organisation point of view) to implement in
the environment I'm dealing with.

keith

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays
Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this
message.  Although the Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes,
it does not accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is
caused by viruses being passed.  Any views or opinions presented are
Barclays Group.  Replies to this email may be monitored by the Barclays
Group for operational or business reasons.