[syslinux] isolinux: Extremely Broken BIOS Detected

Alexander Dick alexander.dick at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 15:08:52 PST 2004

There are countless computers that people are buying from eBay and
other sources that came with SCSI controllers for both CD-ROM and hard
disk such as IBM, Compaq, Dell, and HP, if they don't already own
these systems, so relying on what the current market shows for sales
and support of SCSI is not a real gauge to use or compare to what new
systems or custom systems built by users have.  Users don't always buy
host adapters new from the manufacturers.

Some of the OEM systems will not support any of the new technology
available so someone from the Open Source community will have to
remember that the next time they are planning a release of their
software.

Since ISOLINUX is the only bootloader to facilitate the ease of use
'bootable CD-ROM option' and make the install faster than whatever is
slower than it is now, ISOLINUX should support what the floppy disk
boot method has in my opinion.  If not, then Linux will be proprietary
for those who have the latest and greatest gadgets and limitless funds
to back up their 'Linux habit'.

Thank you for all the detailed information to get your system to boot
from a CD and other media.  Something to think about if the new device
doesn't cause a conflict with your current system and create another
problem.