[syslinux] SYSLINUX 2.20-pre14 released - RELEASE CANDIDATE

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Wed Dec 22 05:31:30 PST 2004

>>> I am grateful to you for implementing the NOESCAPE flag and the new
>>> menu system. Compared to pxegrub pxelinux only lacks one feature that
>>> is important to me: multiple tftp servers.

>> It'd be useful to know what exactly is important to you, and
>> preferrably why:
>>
>> a) TFTP server directive vs. TFTP server prefix (hostname::path or
>> something);

I think that a TFTP server prefix solution would be more flexible than a
TFTP server directive

e.g.

LABEL dosbootdisk
	kernel 192.168.0.1::memdisk
	append initrd=192.168.0.2::floppy.img

That would not be possible with a TFTP server directive (I have assumed
that the directive would be valid for one LABEL statement).

>> b) IP address vs DNS query.

IP addresses are sufficient: DNS name resolution would be nice but I
would start with IP addresses.

> Oh, one more thing: how would you expect this to interact with the "TFTP
> prefix" feature -- i.e. that pxelinux automatically prefixes the
> pathname in which the pxelinux.cfg directory is found, unless otherwise
> directed.
>
> This is my current thinking:
>
> filename
>     ... load <pathprefix><filename> from default server
>
> ::filename
>     ... load <filename> from default server

I was thinking about a "use TFTP path prefix" flag but your approach
will do the trick just as well.

> ipaddress::filename
>     ... load <filename> from <ipaddress>
>
> Using :: as the separator to avoid problems with e.g. Windows servers.

There is something else I would be interested in:
an INCLUDE command, that downloads another configuration file from a
different TFTP server, so I can have a pxelinux master configuration
file and each department can create its own.

Thanks again for considering the multiple tftp servers feature!

Alex