[syslinux] PXELINUX "Fancy" advanced menu question

Ryan McLean ryanm at accelrys.com
Thu Mar 6 01:59:26 PST 2008

I use the vesa menus for my kickstart files, and dell open manage, and
sysrescuecd.

I have a top level menu, that lists by generic distro Redhat as, Redhat es,
Redhat ws, redhat server.. etc..  (this is a slight fib as this is actually
a windows RIS server) that option calls another menu that lists 3 x86, 3
x86_64, 3 ia64, 4 x86,.. etc (this menu is the first PXELinux menu)
that then calls my final menu which contains the distros, eg Redhat
4.0x86,  Redhat
4.1 x86... etc
This then calls the correct boot parameters.

Each of my menus contains an option at the top that allows me to go back to
the previous menu.

The follow is what is needed  to jump between menus.
KERNEL vesamenu.c32
APPEND <conf file>

This entry in the wiki will show you how I setup mine, just replace "
menu.c32" with "vesamenu.c32" and ignore the RIS/WDS specific stuff.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Deploy_Linux_from_Windows_WDS.2FRIS_server_using_PXELinux

I do it this way so I don't have to bother recompiling the complex menus
every time there is an update, as it is I just overwrite pxelinux.0 &
vesamenu.c32 every update.

On 06/03/2008, Bogdan Maryniuck <b.maryniuck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am trying to run advanced dialog-like menus from com32.
> But I can not boot anything... — it always fails. :-)
>
> So, my /path/to/pxelinux.cfg/default looks like this:
>
> --------------8<--------------
> DEFAULT pxemenu/fancy.c32
> PROMPT 0
> IMPLICIT 1
> TIMEOUT 600
>
> LABEL test
>     MENU LABEL Test
>     KERNEL suse10_3/vmlinuz
>     APPEND initrd=suse10_3/initrd.img ....(and so on)....
> --------------8<--------------
>
> Now, my fancy.menu looks like this:
>
> --------------8<--------------
> [main]
> title=" Main Menu "
> item="Test"
> info="This is a test"
> data="test"
> type=run
> --------------8<--------------
>

> Assuming "suse10_3" is a folder in the same folder where pxelinux.0 is.
>
> After I compile the thing, it creates .c file, .c32 and .elf file. So
> I when use PXE
> Linux over PXE networking boot, I am getting the menu up, but when I
> select
> item, it errors and does not finds stuff. Really tried all possible
> variations that comes to my mind, but still out of luck.
>
> I've read all possible documentation shipped, tried to STWF, but still
> feeling I am something missing. How to boot from that menu anyways?
> Is there is possible to get a decent clear example?
> I will wiki it for future losers like me. :-)
>
> Thank you a lot.
>
> P.S. vesamenu works for me great, but I want to have slightly more distros
> in my RedHat kickstart setup.
>
> --
> bm

> --
> Click on the link below to report this email as spam
>
> https://www.mailcontrol.com/sr/37A!i8ezcqGqfXOif76vOjivx6XQl5xk+oeQ2+!I5Kc0eUaaeCciSF1kuoTlSKksaQTXsdLGrhHMWNCfPOASFFoVagJrB300TUrJBcqTYBfsdrEaCUiF0VsjHKg0KPfNdEC6v+emnOJhFwl1df3lGtCUIlpM!JUk57mXZrGqphmEdp9X1Fv!26D!RPkw!lKST!vRhbYQFkxQrbfpCfYs4+Ax0XL3InfQ

Ryan McLean
Systems Administrator