[syslinux] Adding memdisk or similar when booting linux

Murali (முரளி கணபதி) murali at google.com
Thu Mar 13 13:37:03 PDT 2008

If it is for installing windows, you can just run DOS, figure out the
network driver to use and then start your network driver in the same image,
instead of playing games with multiple instances of MEMDISK. I wrote it up
in http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/DosFloppyImage

- Murali

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 7:53 AM, <Harald_Jensas at dell.com> wrote:

> Hi Kjetil,
>
> I used ISOLINUX, MEMDISK and SYSLINUX to load drivers disk for Windows
> using MEMDISK in a tool I made a few years back.
>
> What I did was:
>
> - ISOLINUX loads MEMDISK and a gzipped floppy image and boots the A:
> floppy image.
> - Floppy image has SYSLINUX that in my case load another floppy image
> using MEMDISK to create a virtual B: drive.
> (The reason for loading MEMDISK twice in my case is because of a special
> case in how the Windows installer handles B: drives with driver disks
> inserted.)
> - The B: floppy image boots and also run SYSLINUX wich kick of a
> bootloader that let me change CD and boot from the new CD inserted, im my
> case this is the Windows 2k3 installation media.
>
> You should be able to do something similar like:
>
> - PXELINUX loads MEMDISK and a gzipped floppy image and boots the A:
> floppy image. This image contain your driver disk and
> SYSLINUX+MEMDISK+"Floppy bootable ROM Image".
> - SYSLINUX could then load MEMDISK that in turn loads and boots the
> "Floppy bootable ROM Image".
> - The "Floppy bootable ROM Image" will now do another PXE boot.
>
> You can also configure the bootfile loaded by the Floppy bootable ROM
> Image when this is created. E.g overriding the bootfile specified in your
> DHCP config. E.g the NIC PXE boot get the bootfile info from DHCP wich is
> tftp://server/loadddisk/pxelinux.0 which load MEMDISK and then the Floppy
> bootable ROM Image will load tftp://server/installer/pxelinux.0 which in
> turn start the kernel/initrd for OS installation.
>

> I would'nt call this clean, but it should work... :)
>

> \\
> Harald Jensås

Murali

கற்றது கை மண் அளவு, கல்லாதது உலகளவு
(What we know is only a handful, what we dont is the rest of the world)