[syslinux] newbie question: pxelinux.cfg/default question

a s p a s i a aspasia.sf at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:16:26 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I understand that during PXE boot, it goes into the pxelinux.cfg and it states:

1. "it will search for the config file using its own IP address in
upper case hexadecimal, e.g. 192.0.2.91 -> C000025B  (you can use the
included progam "gethostip" to compute the hexadecimal IP address for
any host.) If that file is not found, it will remove one hex digit and
try again."

a. I'm quite confused - does that mean that the files C0000025B
through "C" SHOULD exist or not?
b. Are these EMPTY files?
c.  and Utlimiately it reads /pxelinux.cfg/default - which I have seen
it to work.

BUT, what if I want to have like (5) FIVE - configuration files, each
of which I want to define a unique NFSroot per host?? ... example:

pxelinux.cfg/default1
DEFAULT vmlinuz-2.6.22-14
APPEND initrd=initrd.img-2.6.22-14
nfsroot=192.168.16.5:/export/images/00A0D1E35838 ip=dhcp

pxelinux.cfg/default2
DEFAULT vmlinuz-2.6.22-14
APPEND initrd=initrd.img-2.6.22-14
nfsroot=192.168.16.5:/export/images/00A0D1E357CA ip=dhcp

etcetera ....

Is this possible - I tried to google and a few folks point to using
the MAC address of the booting client - i tried to place a file:
/pxelinux.cfg/00A0D1E35838
which contains the appropriate above configuration, and yet still the
boot process reads the pxelinux.cfg/default file.

Perhaps I'm slow in understanding the instructions ... does it mean
therefore that ONLY the file /pxelinux.cfg/default is really "read" by
the boot process, so perhaps I need to have a script that just creates
the default file on the fly or copies and existing unique one to
/pxelinux.cfg default based on who or what the MAC address of the
booting client?

Please advise.

thanks in advance.

- a.