[syslinux] Adding memdisk or similar when booting linux

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Mar 26 06:40:12 PDT 2008

Op 26-03-2008 om 13:32 schreef Kjetil.Mikkelborg at kongsberg.com:
> Op 26-03-2008 om 11:26 schreef Luciano Rocha:
> >
> > Driverdisks can be defined in a kickstart file, multiple times, I
> > think, using remote locations:

 <snip what="driverdisks"/>

> > If this does what you need, then you'll just have to create a com32
> > module that constructs the correct command-line to anaconda and not
> > messing around with initrds. ;)
> >

> Actually the driverdisk directive in anaconda is usefull enough in
> itself, but has one big drawback, it cannot be used for network drivers,
> and in my experience, this is almost more frequent than disk controller
> need when dealing with different hardware vendors.

> A really nice have here would be to have a generic network driver like
> whats available in windows, but as far as I know, there is none for
> linux? Even just to allow downloading of a driver disk in slow 10mbit
> would still do the trick :)

What I understood from this E-mail thread was the original goal to
update installations on both old and new hardware. A com32 modules
should do a hardware discovery and build a tailor made initrd.
"cpio" or "initramfs" initrd are easy to rebuild. Redhat install
software provides the harder to update ext2 initial ramdisks.

Would a standard kernel with an initramfs initrd an option?

Cheers
Geert Stappers