[syslinux] pxelinux fails to load miniroot completly

detlef oertel d.oertel at uib.de
Thu Mar 27 04:21:27 PDT 2008

H. Peter Anvin schrieb:
> detlef oertel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> attached 2 screenshots of the meminfo.c32 output.
>>
>> Anything else we can do ?
>>

> I think I see the problem.  Everything in your memory map looks normal,
> *except* line 4 -- where you have a chunk of reserved memory in the
> middle of normal RAM, at 0x1e00000-0x1e80040 (at 30 MB!)
>
> First of all, I doubt that the E820 parser has seen a memory map like
> this -- I will try to simulate this info and see what it comes up with.
>
> What's worse is this will limit syslinux to only 29 MB of high memory,
> even on the best of days, despite the fact that there is a gigabyte of
> memory in the machine.  This means that your large miniroot simply
> doesn't fit.

Hmm,
why fits (and work) the miniroot.gz with isolinux before 2.09-pre15 ?

> I can't think of a sane way to work around this in the syslinux core, at
> least not any time soon, but it is probably possible to work around it
> in linux.c32.  I will have to carefully think about it.
>
> The other thing I would appreciate is as much information as possible
> about this system, as I would like to ping my Dell contacts and get some
> information.
>
> 	-hpa
For information about the machine see atachment at the start of this
thread or my answer to Jeff.

Any thing else we can do ?

regards

detlef oertel

--
detlef oertel

Tel. 06131 / 27561-10
Fax  06131 / 27561-22

eMail: d.oertel at uib.de

uib gmbh

Firmensitz / Anschrift:
Bonifaziusplatz 1B
55118 Mainz

internet: www.uib.de

Geschäftsführer: dr. detlef oertel
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mainz HRB 6942