[syslinux] pxelinux fails to load miniroot completly

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Mar 27 10:12:24 PDT 2008

detlef oertel wrote:

>> What's worse is this will limit syslinux to only 29 MB of high memory,
>> even on the best of days, despite the fact that there is a gigabyte of
>> memory in the machine.  This means that your large miniroot simply
>> doesn't fit.
>
> Hmm,
> why fits (and work) the miniroot.gz with isolinux before 2.09-pre15 ?

Because the earlier BIOS would misparse your E820 information so that it
misses the reserved block.  This is *wrong*, but it just happens to work
on your machine, probably by pure luck.

I notice your BIOS version is A01.  You may want to look for a newer
BIOS, especially since someone else said they had the same machine
without this problem.

As I said, I think a modification to linux.c32 -- specifically, the
COM32 library -- could make this work, but I can't promise any timeline
on that.  In the meantime, this is an extremely odd memory configuration
and I find it hard to believe it is intentional.