[syslinux] pxelinux fails to load miniroot completly

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Thu Mar 27 12:46:44 PDT 2008

--On Thursday, March 27, 2008 10:12:24 AM -0700 "H. Peter Anvin"
<hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> detlef oertel wrote:
>>>
>>> What's worse is this will limit syslinux to only 29 MB of high memory,
>>> even on the best of days, despite the fact that there is a gigabyte of
>>> memory in the machine.  This means that your large miniroot simply
>>> doesn't fit.
>>
>> Hmm,
>> why fits (and work) the miniroot.gz with isolinux before 2.09-pre15 ?
>>

> Because the earlier BIOS would misparse your E820 information so that it
> misses the reserved block.  This is *wrong*, but it just happens to work
> on your machine, probably by pure luck.
>
> I notice your BIOS version is A01.  You may want to look for a newer
> BIOS, especially since someone else said they had the same machine
> without this problem.

Nope; that's the "base board" version.  The BIOS claims to be 2.0.12, which
is a legitimate version for these systems (in fact, it appears to be the
current version).  In a moment, I'll upgrade my test machine to that
version and see if that results in a similar memory map.

-- Jeff