[syslinux] MEMDISK issue with OptiPlex GX280,620

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Tue Dec 7 16:33:30 PST 2010

On 12/7/2010 19:07, Jason Vasquez wrote:
> Regarding the hdd image. You are correct in deducing that I created
> the image. I originally started with a 16MB SD card and configured it
> as a Ghost client disk. Then I copied its contents to a Sony 8MB
> Memory Stick. The 8MB image was a product of this card with the
> interest of having a smaller boot load. Below are the details involved
> configuring the hdd image source media. (Apologies for the extra
> information.)
> ... ... ...

Oh, I forgot to mention that MEMDISK can gunzip a gzipped initrd (the
RAM disk image).  Thus if you delete all unwanted files out of the disk
(or attached/mounted disk image), then do something like:

   dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/ghost/0
   ... No space left on device...
   rm /mnt/ghost/0
   umount /mnt/ghost
   gzip -9 ~/ghost.hdd

You will get a pretty nice size for the resulting file. :)  Filling the
filesystem's unused space with a 0 pattern should allow it to compress
quite well.

- Shao Miller