[syslinux] gpxelinux local disk boot does not work

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Wed Jul 21 09:24:48 PDT 2010

--On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 09:52:08 PM -0600 Jeff Sadowski
<jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:52 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>> On 07/20/2010 03:25 PM, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
>>>
>>> this should be gpxe/pxelinux.0
>>> however it is still using
>>> /pxelinux.cfg/default
>>> and not
>>> /gpxe/pxelinux.cfg/default
>>>

>> This doesn't apply to chainloaded files, unless you use pxechain.com.
>>
> I was just experimenting with pxechain.com
>
> LABEL test
> MENU LABEL test
> KERNEL /gpxe/pxechain.com
> APPEND 10.255.11.252:/gpxe/gpxelinux.0
>
> [quote]
># ls -1 -R
> .:
> gpxe/
> initrd.gz
> memdisk
> pxelinux.0
> pxelinux.cfg/
> vmlinuz
>
> ./gpxe:
> gpxelinux.0
> pxechain.com
> pxelinux.cfg/
>
> ./gpxe/pxelinux.cfg:
> default
>
> ./pxelinux.cfg:
> default
> [/quote]
>
> gpxelinux.0 still uses /pxelinux.cfg/default
>
> (/pxelinux.cfg/default)'s default option is local
> (/gpxe/pxelinux.cfg/default)'s default option is bartpe
> when I type test from pxelinux.0
> it goes to gpxelinux.0 but gpxelinux.0 goes to local even though it
> doesn't even have a local in /gpxe/pxelinux.cfg/default
>
> It seems the syntax of pxechain.com has changed if I use double colons
> it doesn't work at all it just stalls

Unless someone has changed the behavior of pxechain.com without my
noticing, it assigns no special meaning to a single colon.  That means the
configuration you've posted refers to a file
"10.255.11.252:/gpxe/gpxelinux.0" inside the PXELINUX configuration
directory, and assuming you've showed us the whole directory structure, no
such file exists (you don't have a directory named "10.255.11.252:").  This
should cause pxechain.com to print an error message and return control to
PXELINUX.

If it "stalls" when you use a double colon, perhaps there is something
wrong with your TFTP server, or you've used the wrong address, or...
something.  Fix this, and perhaps the other issues will go away.

You also haven't shown your whole configuration, so it's difficult to tell
if something else might be going wrong or to explain the behavior you are
seeing.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>