[syslinux] gpxelinux local disk boot does not work

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 10:56:21 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> wrote:
> --On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 09:52:08 PM -0600 Jeff Sadowski
> <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This doesn't apply to chainloaded files, unless you use pxechain.com.
>>>
>> I was just experimenting with pxechain.com
>>
>> LABEL test
>> MENU LABEL test
>> KERNEL /gpxe/pxechain.com
>> APPEND 10.255.11.252:/gpxe/gpxelinux.0
>>
>> [quote]
>> # ls -1 -R
>> .:
>> gpxe/
>> initrd.gz
>> memdisk
>> pxelinux.0
>> pxelinux.cfg/
>> vmlinuz
>>
>> ./gpxe:
>> gpxelinux.0
>> pxechain.com
>> pxelinux.cfg/
>>
>> ./gpxe/pxelinux.cfg:
>> default
>>
>> ./pxelinux.cfg:
>> default
>> [/quote]
>>
>> gpxelinux.0 still uses /pxelinux.cfg/default
>>
>> (/pxelinux.cfg/default)'s default option is local
>> (/gpxe/pxelinux.cfg/default)'s default option is bartpe
>> when I type test from pxelinux.0
>> it goes to gpxelinux.0 but gpxelinux.0 goes to local even though it
>> doesn't even have a local in /gpxe/pxelinux.cfg/default
>>
>> It seems the syntax of pxechain.com has changed if I use double colons
>> it doesn't work at all it just stalls
>
> Unless someone has changed the behavior of pxechain.com without my noticing,
> it assigns no special meaning to a single colon.  That means the
> configuration you've posted refers to a file
> "10.255.11.252:/gpxe/gpxelinux.0" inside the PXELINUX configuration
> directory, and assuming you've showed us the whole directory structure, no
> such file exists (you don't have a directory named "10.255.11.252:").  This
> should cause pxechain.com to print an error message and return control to
> PXELINUX.
>
> If it "stalls" when you use a double colon, perhaps there is something wrong
> with your TFTP server, or you've used the wrong address, or... something.
>  Fix this, and perhaps the other issues will go away.
>
> You also haven't shown your whole configuration, so it's difficult to tell
> if something else might be going wrong or to explain the behavior you are
> seeing.

Full configuration
Test0

Cleaning things up just for this test directory listing on
10.255.11.252's  /tftpboot directory
[quote]
# ls -1 -R
.:
gpxe/
pxelinux.0
pxelinux.cfg/

./gpxe:
gpxelinux.0
memdisk
pxechain.com
pxelinux.cfg/

./gpxe/pxelinux.cfg:
default

./pxelinux.cfg:
default
[/quote]

cat /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
[quote]
PROMPT 1
DEFAULT local
timeout 30

LABEL local
LOCALBOOT 0

LABEL test
KERNEL gpxe/pxechain.com
append 10.255.11.252::gpxe/gpxelinux.0
[/quote]

cat /tftpboot/gpxe/pxelinux.cfg/default
[quote]
PROMPT 1
DEFAULT bartpe
timeout 30

LABEL bartpe
MENU LABEL bartpe
KERNEL memdisk
INITRD http://10.255.11.252/slax/optional/bartpe.iso
APPEND iso raw
[/quote]

With this setup it stalls when I type "test" at the pxelinux.0 prompt
its the same box and pxelinux.0 was downloaded through tftp
successfully each and every time

Test1
changing (/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default)'s append line to
append gpxe/gpxelinux.0

With this setup when I type "test" at the pxelinux.0 prompt
it displays as follows
[quote]
TFTP boot: 10.255.11.252 pxelinux.cfg/gpxelinux.0
pxechain: PXENV_RESTART_TFTP [0001]
pxechain: PXENV_UDP_OPEN [0001]
boot:
[/quote]

If I let it time out it trys to do a local as you can see by my full
setup this means it is getting the
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default file not
/tftpboot/gpxe/pxelinux.cfg/default as expected

If I don't let it time out and type "test" there it stalls
If I don't let it time out and type "bartpe" there it stalls

so if it returing to pxelinux.0 then it is failing and if it is
could just be something wrong with gpxelinux.0 that is causing all my issues.