[syslinux] how to compile syslinux-4.03

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Tue Nov 30 14:49:51 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
To: "For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa" <syslinux at zytor.com>
Cc: "Aaron Luo" <luotanke at 163.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: [syslinux] Syslinux Digest, Vol 92, Issue 25

> On 11/30/2010 04:14 AM, Aaron Luo wrote:
> > Sorry Gene,
> >
> > I got the version of binutils is 2.17.
> > I download the latest Binutils to make the *objdump* and *objcopy*. with
> > both of these utilities to create new pxelinux.raw.
> > then, the error message shows me that,
> >
> > objcopy -O binary pxelinux.elf pxelinux.raw
> > ../lzo/prepcore pxelinux.raw pxelinux.bin
> > ../lzo/prepcore: pxelinux.raw: output too big (30165, max 0)
> > make[1]: *** [pxelinux.bin] Error 1

not simple to compile binutils properly

> > so, i thought maybe there is something wrong with the format of the
> > pxelinux.raw.
> > is that right?
> >

> Either that, or prepcore miscompiles on this platform.
>
> -hpa

I try full syslinux compilation with binutils-2.20.1, nasm-2.09.04,
gcc-4.4.5.
It compile entirely (except the win part) after unsetting LDFLAGS which
value was "-Wl,--hash-style=gnu"

After a make clean, it fail to compile again because I had not python
installed in that chroot.
Error is
python menugen.py --input=test.menu --output=test.c --template=adv_menu.tpl
make[2]: python: Command not found

Anyway on centos-5.5, 'make installer' work without special package upgrade.

Gilles