[syslinux] Syslinux Digest, Vol 92, Issue 25

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:53:56 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 13:53, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 04:14 AM, Aaron Luo wrote:
>> Sorry Gene,
>>
>> I got the version of binutils is 2.17.
>> I download the latest Binutils to make the *objdump* and *objcopy*. with
>> both of these utilities to create new pxelinux.raw.
>> then, the error message shows me that,
>>
>> objcopy -O binary pxelinux.elf pxelinux.raw
>> ../lzo/prepcore pxelinux.raw pxelinux.bin
>> ../lzo/prepcore: pxelinux.raw: output too big (30165, max 0)
>> make[1]: *** [pxelinux.bin] Error 1
>>
>> so, i thought maybe there is something wrong with the format of the
>> pxelinux.raw.
>> is that right?
>>

> Either that, or prepcore miscompiles on this platform.

I tried someone's prepcore from CentOS 5.5 on a spotless extract of
4.03 and it worked.  The sequence of execution for pxelinux.0 is nasm,
ld, objdump, perl, objcopy, prepcore.  I used the make output to
backtrace one command at a time from his intermediate binaries and
found that redoing the ld step was what was needed to get it to work
on my build system.

Aaron, after changing to the latest binutils, did you either start
from a fresh extracted directory or clean it up (probably needs 'make
spotless', at least in core/, just to be sure)?

--
-Gene