[syslinux] Sysinux 6 will not boot ISOs on BIOS (i.e. pre-UEFI) systems

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 25 13:00:28 PST 2013

> these are the cmds I'm using now, which are working with syslinux4 just
> fine:
>
>      xorriso -as mkisofs ${_qflag} \
>              -iso-level 3 -rock -joliet \
>              -max-iso9660-filenames -omit-period \
>              -omit-version-number \
>              -relaxed-filenames -allow-lowercase \
>              -volid "${LABEL}" \
>              -appid "${APPLICATION}" \
>              -publisher "${PUBLISHER}" \
>              -preparer "prepared by mkmiso" \
>              -eltorito-boot isolinux/isolinux.bin \
>              -eltorito-catalog isolinux/boot.cat \
>              -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
>              -isohybrid-mbr "${work_dir}/iso/isolinux/isohdpfx.bin" \
>              ${_iso_efi_boot_args} \
>              -output "${imgname}" \
>              "${work_dir}/iso/"

Carl and Philip,

Given that you have systems that consistently failed with
isolinux.bin 6.02, I'd like to kindly suggest testing again with the
additional:
 -sort-weight 2 isolinux/isolinux.bin

Note: I am posting this parameter as Gerardo did (path in relative
notation). I am not sure if the adequate path for this parameter
should be with or without a heading "/".

So the parameters for xorriso in Manjaroiso would look like:

xorriso -as mkisofs ${_qflag} \
        -iso-level 3 -rock -joliet \
        -max-iso9660-filenames -omit-period \
        -omit-version-number \
        -relaxed-filenames -allow-lowercase \
        -volid "${LABEL}" \
        -appid "${APPLICATION}" \
        -publisher "${PUBLISHER}" \
        -preparer "prepared by mkmiso" \
        -eltorito-boot isolinux/isolinux.bin \
        --sort-weight 2 isolinux/isolinux.bin \
        -eltorito-catalog isolinux/boot.cat \
        -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
        -isohybrid-mbr "${work_dir}/iso/isolinux/isohdpfx.bin" \
        ${_iso_efi_boot_args} \
        -output "${imgname}" \
        "${work_dir}/iso/"

If the addition of "--sort weight 2 <path_to_isolinux.bin>" makes
those systems boot OK with Syslinux 6.02 now, it would at least be a
valid and simple potential *workaround* for at least several cases
that are currently failing.

Of course, finding a *solution* would be better.

For this suggested test, it would be preferable to use the current
latest Syslinux package from Arch Linux.

Please let us know your results.

TIA,
Ady.