[syslinux] Monthly posting

Eternal September infinnut at endaneen.je
Tue Oct 6 08:10:48 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 06:37:52AM -0400, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 4:38 PM, Eternal September via Syslinux
> <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > What text should be in monthly posting to this mailingist, the
> > Syslinux mailinglist?
>
> I'm a little confused.  Are you suggesting that we should also publish
> a monthly status email to the list?

More in the tradition of periodic  F.A.Q postings.

Telling what is going on.

> Or are you confusing the zytor.com mailman account reminder email for
> a monthly status email?  The zytor.com mailman services has at least
> 8 public lists, several of which don't relate much to Syslinux.

Nope.

> > Things I have in mind:
> >
> > * That gettng a wiki account is in two phase, first create a wiki
> >   account, then tell the accountname so it gets write permission
>
> I've tried to enhance the wiki by putting some of this into the
> account creation pages asking that humans contact us for write
> permission, with a link to the contact us Wiki page
> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Contact and I think we've had
> some still mixed results.

The idea, the wish, is doing better. Getting more wiki contributors.

> > * our Roadmap  (currently: BIOS works, UEFI is work in progress )
>
> UEFI mostly works.  Most of the issues from my perspective seem to be
> machine-specific negative interactions.
>

> > * Download locations and git repositories.
>
> Not much has changed here except the git repo.  The information is
> still on the same Wiki pages.
>
> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Download
> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Development
>
> > * Answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
>
> This could get long fast.  Reminders to common FAQ-related Wiki pages perhaps.

Which are
 * http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/FAQ
 * http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems

> > * The Syslinux ML is also the TFTP-HPA mailinglist.
> >
> > * Help is welcome.

Help such as

 * doing tests. regression tests.

 * sending patches

 * dare to get involved

> > C U Eternal September --
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
>
> This idea of a monthly status would be in addition to the messages
> specific to a topic, ie moving the repo to repo.or.cz.

Indeed.

C U Eternal September
--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September