[syslinux] Running VMware ESXi network installer via syslinux/menu

Steve Rikli sr at genyosha.net
Sun Jan 21 11:11:35 PST 2024

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 03:15:38PM +0100, Marki via Syslinux wrote:
> On 1/20/2024 1:03 AM, Adan Calderon wrote:
> > Remember the vmware versions of their loader are diffrent.
>
> Phew, what does that mean? It's their "bootx64.efi".
> Running "file" on it says it's an "MS-DOS executable".

It's been a while since I tried to install VMware ESXi with PXELINUX, but
from my notes...

VMware uses custom loaders in their implementation of EFI, and it doesn't
appear to be loadable from standard PXELINUX; my workaround was to load
VMware's file directly from DHCP bootserver PXE/tftp settings.

That worked for me back in VMware 6.7 days, haven't tried newer versions
since then.

I suspect the same issue with VMware's EFI loader affects SYSLINUX as
well as PXELINUX, and that may be what is thwarting you.

Fwiw it seems like VMware have been doing this for a while; I also have
notes about their legacy BIOS loaders being incompatible with newer
PXELINUX (e.g. after circa SYSLINUX 3.86), and using undocumented
command line options.

Cheers,
sr.