[syslinux] How do I install RedHat via pxelinux and Kickstart

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at curl.com
Wed Aug 21 21:57:04 PDT 2002

"Kevin Nguyen" <kevinn2cool at attbi.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I am trying to install RedHat via pxelinux and kickstart, but it did not
> load the ks=ks.cfg file.  Here is my default file:
>
> default linux
> label linux
>   kernel vmlinuz
>   append ks=ks.cfg initrd=initrd.img
>   IPAPPEND 1
>
> I put ks=ks.cfg file in the \tftpboot.
>
> Please help.

The kickstart file is read by Linux, not pxelinux.  And it is read
using NFS or HTTP, not TFTP.  See:

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

So you need to put your kickstart file on an NFS or HTTP server and
specify the full path to it in the ks=... option.  That should do it.

(Side note: The boot-time kernel options are available from
/proc/cmdline.  So, for example, if you would like to set the hostname
in the %pre or %post sections of ks.cfg, you can use sed or perl to
slurp out a "hostname=" option provided at boot time.  My approach is
to use a fixed hostname in the "network ..." directive, then do a
search&replace on it in the %post section.)

 - Pat