[syslinux] Syslinux with two-disk set (boot+root )

Mike Jones mjj9 at email.byu.edu
Thu Aug 22 17:19:44 PDT 2002

> prompt_ramdisk is a kernel option, not a SYSLINUX option.  The kernel
> should support it if suitable configured.

What I meant was, if I add "prompt_ramdisk=1" to my append options in
syslinux.cfg, the boot fails (unable to locate my ramdisk file) before I get
a prompt for the disk.  Using the same kernel and the same append options
with lilo works, however.

> I had this problem too, but got round it by using etherboot roms
> on non-pxe
> clients (or an etherboot disk).  Using ISC's dhcpd 3.x you can put in
> conditionals which offer a PXE (pxelinux) image or a tagged image
> (made using
> mknbi-linux) for etherboot.

Unfortunately for me, I can't use etherboot -- I'm using a Win2k DHCP
server, and I understand that Microsoft DHCP doesn't know how to talk to
etherboot.

RGBF.exe (Remote Boot Floppy Generator) might work.  It's actually from
Microsoft (win2k), though it was meant to work with RIS and I'm not sure if
I can get it to work with my TFTP server...  We'll see.

Yes, I could (and probably will) just use lilo.  I was hoping to use
syslinux, though <sigh>.  But I appreciate the fact that you have other
things on your plate.

Thanks.