[syslinux] Syslinux with two-disk set (boot+root )

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Aug 22 13:38:49 PDT 2002

Mike Jones wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> I use (and love!) your syslinux software - also pxelinux and soon isolinux.
> I have been using it for build deployment purposes for some time now,
> however I recently updated my kernel and added some additional drivers to
> it, making it too large to fit on a floppy along with my ramdisk.  This is
> no problem for my PXE-enabled clients, of course, but for those machines
> that do not support PXE, I can no longer use syslinux because it apparently
> does not support the "prompt_ramdisk" option so that I can swap in my second
> floppy disk.
>
> Do you have any plans to include this functionality in a later release?

prompt_ramdisk is a kernel option, not a SYSLINUX option.  The kernel
should support it if suitable configured.

I have been considering implementing some kind of multi-floppy support
in syslinux, but realistically, it probably won't happen unless someone
ends up paying me to get it done (I have too many projects on my hands
right now, which are more interesting and therefore higher priority to me.)

This is yet another reason why I'd like to see a PXE-on-a-floppy
implementation.  Someone said there is actually a way to coax one out of
W2K, but that obviously isn't acceptable for most users.