[syslinux] Syslinux with two-disk set (boot+root )

Ramen Sen r.sen at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Aug 22 09:37:37 PDT 2002

> I use (and love!) your syslinux software - also pxelinux and soon isolinux.
> I have been using it for build deployment purposes for some time now,
> however I recently updated my kernel and added some additional drivers to
> it, making it too large to fit on a floppy along with my ramdisk.  This is
> no problem for my PXE-enabled clients, of course, but for those machines
> that do not support PXE, I can no longer use syslinux because it apparently
> does not support the "prompt_ramdisk" option so that I can swap in my
> second floppy disk.

I had this problem too, but got round it by using etherboot roms on non-pxe
clients (or an etherboot disk).  Using ISC's dhcpd 3.x you can put in
conditionals which offer a PXE (pxelinux) image or a tagged image (made using
mknbi-linux) for etherboot.

That way you also avoid any disk swapping.  It took some fiddling, but works
like a charm.

> Do you have any plans to include this functionality in a later release?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Mike Jones

Ramen