[syslinux] tftp images copy

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Sun Dec 15 04:35:26 PST 2002

Hi,

"groebert.felix at diakonie-duisburg.de" schrieb am 10.12.02 08:43:49:
> hi peter,
> i just have a very small question about pxelinux,
> i use pxe - dhcp - tftp and
> boot: tftpboot.img initrd=root.bin
>
> tftpboot.img is a kernel and root.bin an ramdisk for a debian gnu/linux
> installation system.
>
> the problem is: i can't get the installation system going b/c i need more
> files, rescue.bin and drivers.tgz, but i don't have access to the tftp
> anymore.
>
> would i have to include those into the ramdisk? or do you know if i could
> copy those from the tftpd to a local partition, when the network is still
> availble?

You could also let the kernel (or the initrd) do an additional dhcp request
(via 'kernel level IP config" or dhcpd in the initrd), and transfer these files
via tftp after the kernel is initialized.

I don't think there's a way to do this with pxelinux alone. If you like to
experiment with comboot-images: They can do additional tftp requests,
but you also have to tell the kernel not to overwrite these files. I
think this is quite hairy.

Regards,

Josef