[syslinux] Syslinux 2.00 build problems on redhat 8.0

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Fri Dec 27 00:32:25 PST 2002

I apologize if this has already been covered, I did a half-hearted
search of the mail archives but couldn't find anything, although I
did find a couple of posts elsewhere of people having similar trouble
with ppmtolss16.

I'm having a few build problems on redhat 8.0, the first failure
in the build is a fatal error from findpatch.pl early in the build.
Bumbling through that problem there were a couple of other failures.

It looks like all of the problems are related to the way perl is
built on redhat 8.0 to handle unicode strings.  This screws up the perl
scripts in the build that are munging binary files.

So, my fix is to patch the following scripts:

     findpatch.pl
     bin2hex.pl
     ppmtolss16

I add the following to the beginning of each of the scripts:

     eval("no encoding") if $] >= 5.008;

This says to use the "no encoding" pragma if the perl version is
5.8.0 or later and seems to fix the unicode craziness gnarling
things up.  This seems to work okay on older systems and
the build seems to work fine on redhat 8.0.

Has anyone else run into this problem or have a more elegant
solution?

jeff