[syslinux] Syslinux 2.00 build problems on redhat 8.0

Jeff Mock jeff at mock.com
Fri Dec 27 20:23:41 PST 2002

Okay, I've looked into this a little further, and I would like
some feedback if anybody else really knows what's going on.

In redhat 8.0, the locale is setup to be "en_US.UTF-8" by default
with the LANG environment variable.  Perl 5.8 looks at this variable
and does file I/O using utf8 as a result.  This screws up the scripts
that are munging binary files.  So, there are a couple of ways to
go:

Unset the LANG environment varable or set it to "en_US" instead.
This variable is set in /etc/sysconfig/i18n.  syslinux builds fine with
no patches.

On further reflection, I think the 3 perl scripts below should
have the following at the beginning instead of the pragma I used
below:

     use open  IO => ":bytes";
     binmode (STDIN, ":bytes");
     binmode (STDOUT, ":bytes");

With the above, syslinux will build regardless of the setting of
the LANG environment variable and error messages and such will honor
the current locale settings.

jeff