[syslinux] PXE boot of linux-2.4.*

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Sat Feb 2 08:05:59 PST 2002

Hi,

please don't post HTML here, and try to give some ascii-readable
name with your e-mail address. I see only some really strange characters
there ...

>I used linux.0 from the pxe package of redhat linux 7.2.
>It's successfully boot vmlinuz-2.2.19, but when I try to boot
>vmlinuz-2.4.14, it reboots after Setup() call in linux.c
>The phrase "Uncompressing linux" does not appear.
>What I ought to do to successfully boot linux-2.4.14 kernel image?

Don't use the Red Hat pxe package. I don't really know what this does,
but AFAIK this doesn't use pxelinux at all and uses some sort of
'binld'.

Grab the latest pxelinux and tftp-hpa from the website, configure
your dhcp server (ISC dhcpd preferred - but this should already be in RH7.2) as documented and it works (at least it should work, it does
for me). There's no need to bother with 'binld', 'pxed' and this
stuff as long as you don't know for sure that you need them.

Regards,

Josef