[syslinux] PXE Hanging

Nigel Feltham nigel.feltham at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 25 17:36:48 PST 2002

Hi,

I have been trying to boot a PC based terminal using your PXELINUX project
and I am having a problem.

The Terminal (a Netier NetXpress XL2000) has a m-systems Disk-On-Chip 2000
flash memory module which is normally used to boot a cut-down version of
WinNT.  I work in a repair department where we often have to open up these
terminals and temporarily install a hard-drive to reflash the disk-on-chip
based firmware so I was hoping to make repairs easier by netbooting then
reflashing over the network.

These terminals have PXE compatible network bios and are based on Pentium
technology. They boot linux correctly using PXELINUX if the flash memory is
disabled but when enabled PXELINUX gets as far as loading the kernel,
displays a 'ready' message then hangs. It does the same when using memtest86
as kernel image (works without flash, hangs with it). Is this a known problem
and is there a way I can patch your source to avoid the problem ( the flash
memory simulates an IDE device but may be using some memory your loader
needs?).

Using memdisk to try booting a floppy disk image displays a disk error (these
terminals have no floppy drives installed). I will try using a hard-disk
image when I work out an easy way to create one.

Thanks for your help,
Nigel