[syslinux] help with porting patch from 1.62 to 1.75

Mathias Koerber mathias at koerber.org
Thu Jul 11 02:16:27 PDT 2002

> Mathias Koerber wrote:
> It would make more sense just to load the boot sector from the secondary
> drive and call it with DL=81h.  SYSLINUX basically has all that code
> already, although I can't remember for sure if it's enabled in the
> SYSLINUX module.  Try entering "localboot 0x81" ISOLINUX-style; I believe
> it should work in 1.75 SYSLINUX; if not, let me know.

Hmm. Wouldn´t that leave the DoC as hda and the real HD as hdb, which
is not desired?

Anyway, I tried it with syslinux-1.75 and this cfg:
	# cat sys*cfg
	serial 0 38400
	default h
	prompt 1
	timeout 30
	display boot.msg
	label rescue
	  kernel vmlinuz
	  append console=ttyS0,38400 initrd=rescue.gz ramdisk_size=8192
root=/dev/ram
	label linux
	  kernel vmlinuz
	  append vga=788 initrd=bootcram.gz root=/dev/ram init=/linuxrc
	label debian
	  kernel vmlinuz
	  append initrd=root.bin lang= vga=788 root=/dev/ram
	label redhat
	  kernel vmlinuz
	  append initrd=initrd.img lang= ramdisk_size=7168 vga=788
	label f
	  kernel memdisk
	  append initrd=boot.img
	labal h
	  localboot 0x81

First it complains about some unknown keyword in sys.linx.cfg
(7 times!)

If I try
boot: localboot 0x81
Could not find kernel image: localboo.t