[syslinux] help with porting patch from 1.62 to 1.75

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jul 11 01:57:11 PDT 2002

Mathias Koerber wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I have below a patch (against Syslinux-1.62), which adds
> a pseudo-kernel 'swap' which swaps device numbers of
> the boot device and the first harddisk. It was made
> for a system equipped with a DiskOnChip (www.msys.com)
> device which 'steals' the device# of teh first harddisk,
> This patch is used to enable the syslinux on the DoC
> to continue booting from the harddisk as if the DoC
> isn´t present.

It would make more sense just to load the boot sector from the secondary
drive and call it with DL=81h.  SYSLINUX basically has all that code
already, although I can't remember for sure if it's enabled in the
SYSLINUX module.  Try entering "localboot 0x81" ISOLINUX-style; I
believe it should work in 1.75 SYSLINUX; if not, let me know.

Note that some other boot loaders/MBRs might have a problem with booting
from a non-80h hard drive.  SYSLINUX won't have any trouble.