[syslinux] pxelinux and image selection? (fwd)

Marcel Ritter Marcel.Ritter at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Jun 17 12:15:46 PDT 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Roy Badami wrote:

>  > BTW I tried booting "bstrap.0" file contained in the RedHat pxe RPM, and
>  > this one has the stage2 PXE menu built-in.
>
> I don't think bstrap.0 is really a 'stage2' boot loader; it's just a
> normal PXE2 implementation for backward compatibility purposes.
>
> As I understand it the only purpose of bstrap.0 is for backward
> compatibility with network cards that don't implement PXE 2.

I'm not quite sure about the versions. I played around with 3com cards
(with different PXE versions) and the old ones (I thought they were PXE
2.0) had the bstrap.0 code built in - new ones (if I recall correctly
version 2.1) don't. But I may be wrong - will check this if I find another
"old" card.

Problem is, the new ones do no longer support the PXE menu feature (which
is now in bstrap.0) and which I liked (though I never got it working
properly :-(

> If you run the Intel PXE server, and a PXE 1.0 attempts to boot from
> it, then I *think* that the server will give it bstrap.0, which is a
> PXE 2.0 client.
>
> I don't think bstrap.0 is useful in any other context.

Only the menu (if it works ...)

... but I heard we'll get this one in syslinux 2.00 (though I
could not yet find any code about this in the 2.00 pre releases - if
someone has more info about that - please let me know)

> 	-roy

Ciao,
  Marcel

----
Marcel Ritter
Linux Betreuer
Regionales Rechenzentrum Erlangen
----
Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.