[syslinux] RIS and PXELINUX

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Mar 21 13:22:48 PST 2002

Mark Dieterich wrote:
>>No, this is probably coming from the PXE server.
>

> Your absolutely correct, the boot menu goes away.  If I get rid of the
> PXEClient statement from the dhcp server, the machine goes back to getting
> it's info from the RIS server.
>
> I'd prefer not to use a PXE server, but it looks like I either need a PXE
> server running or an internal firewall around the windows and linux servers.

Either that or you need to configure the RIS server to not try to claim
access to the rest of the universe.

This might be hard, however, because of how the PXE specification is done
(if no PXE boot server is received, it will try to obtain one via
broadcast on the normal DHCP port.  The RIS server will claim this one,
and oh boy...)