[syslinux] odd pxelinux/tftp-hpa problem

James S. Martin james.martin at digex.com
Tue May 7 13:13:33 PDT 2002

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> That's very odd indeed.  The not defined is almost certainly an option
> negotiation failure, most PXE stacks seem to force one on purpose before
> starting the real transfer.
>
> I hate to suggest this, but could you by any chance have either an
> address conflict on your network or a hardware/cabling failure?  The
> fact that it only affects one box our of a set that is known to work
> well is sticky...
>
>     -hpa

Thanks for the help.  We have 3 network interfaces on the boot server.
hme0, hme1, and hme2.  hme2 is doing the DHCP, and is on the "81"
network, hme0 is on the "83" network and serving TFTP.  The machine we
are building is on the "81" network.  In the dhcpd.conf we had the
next-server line explicitly pointing to the IP address for hme0 (83
network).  After I removed that line and restarted the dhcp server, it
worked fine.  So it seems that for some reason the PXE stack doesn't
like having a next-server line if the machine being built is on the same
network as the DHCP server.  That really doesn't make any sense to me.
But it works now :).

James