[syslinux] RE: SYSLINUX digest, Vol 1 #102 - 4 msgs

robvog at hetnet.nl robvog at hetnet.nl
Wed May 15 08:59:47 PDT 2002

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Josef.

> In netstat -p |grep rpc I get:
>  dgram 56732 rpc.nfsd
>  dgram 55905 rpc.mountd
> While client looks for socket 100003/2 or 100005/1, mine rpc.mountd is on socket 55905. Maybe it is a reason for an error 22.

>The port numbers are RPC numbers, not sockets. Try 'rpcinfo -p' for these.

rpcinfo -p

100005	mountd
100003	nfs

So this looks ok I asume.

( cut it, have no Internet connection on that computer)

>Looks like you exported the NFS directory wrong. Did you try to mount
>this directory by another client?
I have not tried yet to mount directory by another client. I have no experience with nfs, but I will try it.

> How do you tell the kernel the  root FS?
I have:
In /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
default linux root=/dev/nfs nfsaddrs=192.168.1.1:192.168.1.1:192.168.1.1:255.255.255.0:netserver:eth0 nfsroot=192.168.1.1:/netboot/base
where netboot/base is where root for client system begins.

>If the portmap calls fail the server doesn't want to talk to the
>client, perhaps it wants the client to be in the DNS, or else.
>Did you try to put the IP of the client into /etc/exports instead
>of the network address?

The purpose of network boot for me is to boot a not standard group
of computers I don't know the networkcard addresss of, from network who get a
IP address assigned by dhcp. It's for a testing area of incoming computers.
That's why I have in /etc/exports:
/netboot/base	192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)

/netboot/base	(rw,no_root_squash) # allows all clients, won't work either

>BTW, this has nothing to do with pxelinux, it's a kernel issue.
NFS support is compiled in client kernel.
It's good to know that at least pxelinux is fully operational. If I don't get it to work I can fallback to root on ramdisk, but
I would rather have root on nfs.

Next thing I will try to mount directory on other normal linux computer, as you said.

Does anyone know what error 22 means?

Rob