[syslinux] multi OS bootable CD, ISOLinux, ERD Commander problem

LAM Chi-fung cflam at hk.super.net
Tue Nov 26 22:52:46 PST 2002

Hello all, I plan to make an (emergency) multi OS bootable CD which
contain:
- Win98 boot floppy (create from Win 98 control panel, add remove
program)
- WinME boot floppy (create from Win 98 control panel, add remove
program)
- Linux boot disk
- Win NT boot disk
- Win 2000 recovery console
- Win XP recovery console
- Winternal Administrative Pak (ERD Commander etc)

I am new to Linux and feel painful in doing these, someone point me to
Bart's web (http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/)
and I guess Multiple boot images (isolinux/memdisk)  could
solve my problem, I start off with the following

              0) Boot from first harddisk (0x80)

              1) Boot Dos with CD-Rom support
              2) Boot Dos with Network support
              3) Boot Linux (tomsrtbt)
              4) Boot Windows 98 floppy
              5) Boot Windows ME floppy
              6) Boot FD Linux
              7) Boot Pocket Linux
              8) Boot RedHat Linux 8
              9) Boot RedHat Linux 8 text
              e) Boot RedHat Linux 8 expert
              k) Boot RedHat Linux 8 ks
              n) Boot RedHat Linux 8 nofb
              l) Boot RedHat Linux 8 lowres
              c) Boot RedHat Linux 8 CrashRecovery

              a) Boot from first floppy drive (0x00)
              q) Skip CD-Rom boot (try next boot device)

1,2,3 are from Bart's web, I create the img file (win98.img and
winme.img) with dd.exe
I got FD Linux at http://www.fdlinux.com/download.html and
Pocket Linux
at http://www.pocket-lnx.org/download.html
option 8,9,e,k,n,l are from
http://redhat.pacific.net.au/redhat/linux/8.0/en/os/i386/isolinux/
and c) is from http://crashrecovery.org/
(ftp://ftp.crashrecovery.org/pub/linux/CrashRecoveryKit/iso/2.4.19/)
my isolinux.cfg look like this

default 0
display bootmsg.txt
prompt 1
F1 boot.msg
F2 options.msg
F3 general.msg
F4 param.msg
F5 rescue.msg
F7 snake.msg
label 0
 localboot 0x80
label a
 localboot 0x00
label q
 localboot -1
label 1
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=cdrom.img
label 2
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=msnet.img
label 3
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=tomsrtbt.img
label 4
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=win98.img
label 5
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=winme.img
label 6
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=fdlinux.img
label 7
    kernel memdisk
    append initrd=pklinux.img
label 8
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
label 9
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img lang= text devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
label e
  kernel vmlinuz
  append expert initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
label k
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
label n
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount nofb ramdisk_size=9216
label l
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img lang= lowres devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
label c
  kernel memdisk
  append initrd= crash2419.img
timeout 200

I have no problem from Option 0 - 4, but can't load the remain,
5) hang up after winme.img load, 6) and 7) ask for floppy, 8 - l report
vmlinuz corrupt, c) hang after image load.

* for c), I try:
label c
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd= crash2419.img

and also not work

should I use Bootable Dos CD-Rom (multiple boot images) instead of
Multiple boot images (isolinux/memdisk) for the above ?
any problem in my setting from option 5 to c ? (seems that 5 to 7
require floppy emulation to work)

after solving the above, i would like to add Win 2000/XP recovery
console into the menu (still searching for the recovery console image
file) and ERD Commander. Anyone know how to include the ERD Commander
in isolinux.cfg ?
label erd
  kernel w2ksect.bin
  append initrd=erd.img
??

Also, anyone try put the NTFSDOS Pro onto a bootable CD ? I use it with
Win XP Pro and the total file size is over 5MB!!! (it said will use 2
floppies......)

For he above (Win Recivery Console and ERD stuff) should I use
Multiple boot images (isolinux/memdisk) and add the option
kernel w2ksect.bin ?

Also, can multiple disk image cascade ? eg
some floppy distributed Linux are in 3 floppies (disk1.img, disk2.img,
disk3.img) can the config:

label m
  kernel memdisk
  append initrd= disk1.img, disk2.img, disk3.img

??

Thanks a lot.

Regds
LAM Chi-fung
cflam at hk.super.net

PS I am using Chinese Win 98 to build the CD, mkisofs.exe not work with
Chinese file name, and I find a NLS version of it
http://www.arekore.org/cdrecord/mkisofs-NLS-CJK.html
with some modification in the build.mak
boot:=-b isolinux/isolinux.bin \
       -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
       -hide isolinux.bin -hide-joliet isolinux.bin \
       -hide boot.catalog -hide-joliet boot.catalog
       -hide trans.tbl -hide-joliet trans.tbl

mkisofsargs:=-J -N -U -T -icode=big5

hope this help ^_^