[syslinux] multi OS bootable CD, ISOLinux, ERD Commander problem

G. Murali Krishnan gmkrishn at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 28 10:10:00 PST 2002

> thanks for your advice, my problem is more interesting....the Win ME
> boot floppy work perfectly but not in image mode..... even I use dd to
> build the image file again and again (on different PC)

I have never had a floppy work, but not its image.

> > My Win98 based DOS bootdisk used to hang. The problem was with IFSHLP.SYS.
> > Try removing the "DEVICE=IFSHLP.SYS" in the config.sys in WinME image, to
> > see if it works. If it does and if you need network support, then you have
> > to get another copy of IFSHLP.SYS.
> >
> > In case of 6 and 7, they are the only linux images you are trying to boot
> > using memdisk. I presume that the images themselves are using syslinux,
> > to boot into linux. If that is the case, you can remove the extra syslinux
> > layer. Just get the kernel and initial ramdisk out of your .img file
> > and change the config lines to be similar to the other linux kernels.
>
> woo... great.... this may consume 2 weekends for me ^_^

Doing this in Linux makes the job a lot easier. Just mount the file as a
filesystem, and you inspect the contents of the .img file, without having
to dd it into a floppy ...

> > > since my objective is a multi-OS rescue CD, so I think NTFSDOS Pro, Disk
> > > Commander and ERD Commander are more suitable, hey hey, any one has idea on
> > > how to incorporate them in ISOLinux ?
> >
> > I dont have copies of them to test. However, I use Windows XP recovery
> > console image to recover windows stuff. It may not be as powerful as the
> > other utilities. But if things are done right, you would never need to use
> > them. If the recovery systems become very complicated, they might need
> > recovering themselves.
>
> do you have the Recovery Console image or the file list ?? I have
> difficult to identify which files belong to Recovery Console.....
> great.... recovery system for recovery system........ ^_^

Check out http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~gmurali/gui/winreccons.html
It has detailed instructions about how to get the recovery console part of
your windows install CD out.

- Murali

#  Ry 254, Ryerson Hall,   #    Ph : +1 773 702-1031 (Off)     #
#  1100 E 58th Street      #         +1 773 575-4836 (Cell)    #
#  Chicago, IL - 60637,    #   URL : http://www.g-murali.com   #
#  USA.                    #  email: gmkrishn at cs.uchicago.edu  #