[syslinux] [OFFTOPIC] Need small PC

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Oct 8 12:07:23 PDT 2002

This is completely offtopic, but well, I run the list so there :)
Please respond directly to me and not to the list, though, to save the
people who don't want to listen to this discussion.

I am looking for a small PC with very specific criteria; these machines
are going into an industrial setting (which I cannot explain in detail);
I was hoping someone on this list might have experience with something
like this.  I would appreciate any pointers.

The machines MUST:

a) Be as small as possible (MicroATX motherboard would be a plus);
b) Be based on an Intel i815 chipset or its successors (i815E, i845...);
c) Have at least 1 PCI slot;
d) Have at least 1 serial port; 2 preferred;
e) Run stock Linux 2.4 without fuss.

It would be NICE if:

f) The machines can be run in a no-moving-parts configuration, e.g.
using a CompactFlash card instead of a hard disk;
g) These machines are available for retail, as opposed to mail order, in
the San Francisco Bay Area;
h) They were to cost less than $1000 apiece in quantity 10 or so.

I would appreciate suitable pointers.