[syslinux] ISOLINUX problem booting with no Hard Disk

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Apr 1 15:35:02 PST 2003

Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com wrote:
> I suspected that, but how can I prove it. I _am_ the vendor :-(
>
> I need some trace code or something to prove they are wrong. Basically, a
> testcase I can give them and tell them they are broke. Do you have any DOS
> executable things that I can run that would prove they are broke, or
> possibly a debugging isolinux version.

There is one already (isolinux-debug.bin).  The other thing you could to
is to wrap all calls to INT 13h and record the contents of the registers
and the EDD transfer area; this should give you a complete record of
what is happening.

> If I can get this, I can walk downstairs to the BIOS guys and hand them a
> defect report.
>
> I am _VERY_ motivated to fix this, as it is a _HUGE_ impact on a project I
> am on.

Good, on both of those.  Both El Torito and PXE BIOSes seem to be
complete shit these days.