[syslinux] PXElinux bootscreens

Kuervers.SJ at forces.gc.ca Kuervers.SJ at forces.gc.ca
Tue Feb 4 14:25:22 PST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: H. Peter Anvin [mailto:hpa at zytor.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 3:18 PM
To: Kuervers.SJ at forces.gc.ca
Cc: syslinux at zytor.com
Subject: Re: [syslinux] PXElinux bootscreens

Kuervers.SJ at forces.gc.ca wrote:
> Thanks for your quick response.  How difficult would it be to pull the
image
> file from the TFTP server instead of from the floppy?  You could then use
> your same display code, and all that, after pulling the image from the
> server (before pulling the display menu, etc).
>
> Would this be something that could be done by someone else (possibly
myself)
> for you to implement?

#Uhm... if you're using SYSLINUX, it's from floppy; using PXELINUX, from
#TFTP; using ISOLINUX it's from CD...
#
#	-hpa

Yes, I understand this.  What I am suggesting, is it possible to write a
modification to PXElinux to pull the graphic boot screen from the PXE and/or
TFTP server.  To display the graphic to the screen, you could reuse the
equivelent code from syslinux.

I must admit, the full implications of this are not clear to me, as I am not
up on the internals of PXE.  But I figure that if pxelinux can pull the
files from the tftpserver for the menu and text, why not pull the graphics
too, and then display them?

Quite honestly, I am unsure as to how much work this is, and I am
essentially doing a 'staff check' on feasibility or likelhood of future
implementation.  I can always find other ways to do this if necessary.

Thanks again for your quick responses, and taking the time to answer my
questions.

Steve