[syslinux] PXELINUX keeppxe mem footprint

Moore, Patrick J patrick.moore at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Jun 21 02:03:10 PDT 2003

I have tried all that (I've been maintaining it for a few years) so I've
tested, and used many of those techniques. I have not yet come across a
single machine for which UMBPCI.SYS can beat "device=\dos\emm386.exe noems
notr h=128 i=b000-b7ff /v".

Without keeppxe I have approx 400K base RAM left after starting the full
redirector. The 90K hit of keeping PXE loaded is just too much. Is there any
way of shunting this to XMS I wonder? The 7K required for keyboard.sys
(loaded high in any case) is pretty insignificant compared to this.

Anyway, as hpa said it is possible to unload PXE but keep UNDI, he just
hasn't implemented it yet.

Patrick