[syslinux] Password protection

Wout Mertens wmertens at cisco.com
Tue Jun 24 04:47:41 PDT 2003

Hi,

I would like to request password protection in syslinux.

I know that it has come up a few times on the mailing list (google for
"site:www.zytor.com syslinux password"), and on
http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2002-May/000421.html you say
interesting things about COMBOOT images.

So I was wondering if I could bring that feature request to your attention
again :)

grub has it, but grub doesn't have PXE, and I think it is entirely
non-trivial to get it to work with PXE. But their implementation is very
nice.

Basically, the main concern is not allowing regular users to change the
boot parameters. Especially init=/bin/bash comes to mind :*).

Under grub, you can type an md5 hash of the password in the configuration
file.

Thanks,

Wout.