[syslinux] Creating a bootable floppy

JohnPoltorak jp at manninghammills.org
Wed Mar 5 16:21:39 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:07:40PM +0100, Josef Siemes wrote:

> The linux kernel is created by compiling the kernel source from kernel.org.

Can't I just download a pre-compiled kernel from somewhere?

I just want something as basic as possible to start with so that I can to
get as far as a login prompt...

> You need a running linux system for this, there's no way to create this
> from elsewhere (unless you really know what you are doing - it is possible,
> but it isn't a simple task!).

Do I need to use gcc to compile a kernel, or is it a matter of running a
shell script?

I looked at the KERNELS subdirectory on Slackware and did not see any
references to cc or gcc and wondered how they got built...

> BTW: It seems that you want to have something like the lilo bootloader,
> since syslinux is tied to a disk with FAT filesystem, while lilo can boot
> linux from an ext2 filesytem (the linux standard filesystem).

I want to try out using a Linux Router running from a small CF card.

--
John