[syslinux] Creating a bootable floppy

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Thu Mar 6 13:21:03 PST 2003

Hi,

JohnPoltorak <jp at manninghammills.org> schrieb am 06.03.03 01:26:23:
> On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:07:40PM +0100, Josef Siemes wrote:
> > The linux kernel is created by compiling the kernel source from kernel.org.
>
> Can't I just download a pre-compiled kernel from somewhere?

> I looked at the KERNELS subdirectory on Slackware and did not see any
> references to cc or gcc and wondered how they got built...

The kernel is a binary. And yes, it is built with gcc, including the other gnu tools.
It seems that you found the installation kernels in your distribution.

We are getting more and more off-topic here. This list is about syslinux & tftp-hpa,
not about compiling kernels. Read some howtos about this: www.tldp.org

Regards,

Josef