[syslinux] what happens to text after the label?

David Nedved dnedved at nuvox.net
Mon Mar 10 12:43:45 PST 2003

Hi All,

Interesting that I couldn't find this documented anywhere, but
what happens to text that is typed after the label on the syslinux
prompt?

My current issue is I'm using PXE to do kickstart installations.  I
want the ability to do "rescue" boots also with PXE.  I've gone
looking at the current RH80 disk 1 which has this capability.  It
has a directory called "/isolinux" which is where the El Torito info
lives, right?

In that directory, here is part of the isolinux.cfg file:

label linux
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216

When you type "linux rescue" at the isolinux prompt, it does a rescue
load.  If I simply add the word "rescue" at the end of the "append" line,
and type "linux" by itself, it doesn't do rescue mode, it does a normal
boot.  Anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

David Nedved