[syslinux] Disk images and syslinux

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Wed Mar 19 05:34:32 PST 2003

Hi,

"Karri Puumanen" <karri.puumanen at mainframe.fi> schrieb am 16.03.03 12:50:23:
> I'm working on a Red Hat 7.3 based bootable cd. I have included a number of firmware update floppy images to it succesfully. However, I run into problems trying to build a floppy image for IBM ServerRAID firmware update. The firmware update disk set contains three disks. So their content does not fit into 1.44 nor 2.88 floppy images.
>
> To my understanding it possible to build a hard disk image let's say 5 MB and use it with syslinux. However, I'm not sure about the details of how to do this. All help is highly appreciated.

You can
a) create hard disk images for syslinux. These should look like a complete hard disk (dd if=/dev/hda),
so it should contain a MBR, Partition table, and the partition contents. You can use this with the memdisk driver, but this is thought for DOS images. You need to use loadlin in this environment to
get a linux kernel booted.
b) Use isolinux - so your kernel and initrd are not in a disk image with 1.44 or 2.88 MB, but directly
reside on the CD, without much limitations (you won't want 600 M initrd files, won't you?).

Regards,

Josef