[syslinux] PXELinux can't load the config file?

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri Mar 21 02:23:41 PST 2003

Hi,

Ciprian Paunescu <cip at k.ro> schrieb am 21.03.03 04:01:36:
> I am working on a cluster of PCs, and I want to
> boot them from an SGI IRIX machine.
> The PCs use Supermicro XEON MB, with dual GigE built in.
> They have Intel Boot Agent GE v 1.1.09 and PXE 2.1 (083).
>
> I have DHCP and TFTP on the IRIX machine, pxelinux.0
> loads, but it can't load the configuration file?
> tftp on the host tries to send the file, but data
> transfers do not receive ACKs.

I doubt that SGI's tftp server implements the tsize option, which
pxelinux needs. So even on a linux box with this tftp server you
won't be able to boot anyway.

> I got tftp-hpa to compile on the IRIX box, but it doesn't
> work any better. Any ideeas on what is wrong, and
> how can I fix it?

The dumps are to few for that. Give a hex dump of the
TFTP request, and a hex dump of the server's response
with the tsize option (first 100 bytes should be enough,
though ...). Perhaps the server doesn't give
the correct size to the client.

> I "snooped" on the nework, and here's what I see:
> 192.168.1.1 is the server, 192.168.1.4 the client

> And here's the same problem using the tftp-hpa
> implementation.
> This time I get an "Opcode 6?" error

'Opcode 6' is the 'OACK' Option (Option Acknowledgement),
so this seems correct.

BTW: Could you put some standard network card into the
client to test if it's the PXE rom to blame? A recent Intel
Pro/100 with MBA >=2  would be nice. I also have seen the
Pro/1000 boot without problems.

Regards,

Josef